Sunday, March 24, 2013

Maple Madness



I wake up most mornings wishing I had time to start my day off right by making myself a gourmet breakfast complete with warm, fluffy pancakes dripping in maple syrup and a side of fresh fruit (and by fresh fruit I shamefully mean bacon). Being a college student and feeling the need to sleep as late as I possibly can has denied me of that one small joy in life. Most days I run out the door disheveled with some form of energy bar in hand. These energy bars are not satisfying to say the least, and they especially do not provide the same comforting feeling that warm thick maple syrup can give you.

Because I couldn’t stand the thought of eating another breakfast in the shape of a condensed square, I decided that muffins would be a great grab-and-go alternate. I ambitiously also wanted something that could incorporate my gourmet morning fantasies. I finally settled on making Maple Oatmeal Muffins.

I was incredibly pleased with how easy they were to make and how well they came out. Although some people (like myself) hear the word oatmeal and immediately think of a bland and boring taste, these muffins were far from dull. The maple syrup that is infused with the granola definitely gives these muffins a delightfully sweet flavor, but it is the maple glaze on top that really brought my breakfast fantasies to life.

I also chose to add in walnuts and raisins for some extra sweetness and a little crunch, but I encourage you to get adventurous and add anything you would like into the mix—including apples, blueberries, pumpkin, peanut butter, and yes, even bacon if your looking for a more savory taste.  

This recipe calls for the following ingredients and bakes at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes:
1 cup of old fashioned Quaker Oats
½ cup of milk
¾ cup of maple syrup
¼ butter
1 egg
1 cup of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
A handful of walnuts and raisins

For the maple glaze, whisk together the follow ingredients and then drizzle it on top:
¼ cup of maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of confectioner’s sugar  


1 comment:

  1. this looks great! ill for sure use some of these recipes next time i go home! thanks girl

    ReplyDelete